Source: Google Video
On Tuesday, December 9th 1981, Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner was in the process of arresting William Cook, the brother of journalist & activist Mumia Abu-Jamal. Shots were fired, and when additional officers arrived at the scene they found Abu-Jamal wounded and Faulker dead. In the subsequent trial, a jury found Mumia Abu-Jamal guilty of murder, and sentenced to death. However, irregularities in the trial and conviction soon came to light, which has been the focus of much media attention both for and against Abu-Jamal.
This documentary specifically examines the an apperant bias by ABC News and Sam Donaldson in covering the events of Faulkner's murder and the trial for 20/20. Narrated by Danny Glover, Framing an Execution casts doubts as to the credibility of key witnesses, highlights questionable procedures in conducting the case, and argues for Abu-Jamal's innocence.
In the Library:
- Asher, Robert, Lawrence B. Goodheart, and Alan Rogers. 2005. Murder on trial: 1620-2002. Albany: State University of New York Press. [link: NetLibrary]
- Cohen, Stanley. 2003. The wrong men: America's epidemic of wrongful death row convictions. New York: Carroll & Graf Publishers. [link: WorldCat]
- Lindorff, Dave. 2003. Killing time: an investigation into the death row case of Mumia Abu-Jamal. Monroe, Me: Common Courage Press. [link: WorldCat]
- Ness, Immanuel. 2004. Encyclopedia of American social movements. Armonk, NY: Sharpe Reference. [link: WorldCat]
- Rome, Dennis. 2004. Black demons: the media's depiction of the African American male criminal stereotype. Crime, media, and popular culture. Westport, Conn: Praeger. [link: NetLibrary]
- Williams, Daniel R. 2001. Executing justice: an inside account of the case of Mumia Abu-Jamal. New York: St. Martin's Press. [link: WorldCat]
- Boghosian, Heidi. 2004. "Meeting Mumia Abu-Jamal." Guild Notes 28, no. 1: 12-13. Legal Collection, EBSCOhost (accessed December 3, 2008). [link: EbscoHost]
- Bryan, Robert. 2007. "An Update on Mumia Abu-Jamal." Guild Notes 33, no. 4: 4-5. Legal Collection, EBSCOhost (accessed December 3, 2008). [link: EbscoHost]
On the Web: