Source: Google Video
On Piracy: On Piracy & The Future of Media (2007) is an independently-produced documentary by Julien McArdle on copyright, intellectual property, and illegal file sharing. From the Website:
Each day, millions of youths from Canada and around the world download music and movies off of the Internet. This epidemic of "unauthorized" downloading has been cited by the record and film industries as being the prime cause for billions in losses. Politicians have come under tremendous pressure to pass legislation on the issue.This film was originally released via BitTorrent on The Pirate Bay (where an ISO of the full DVD can still be found), and the subsequent DVD was released under the Creative Commons license.
But despite all the media frenzy on the piracy crackdowns, there's been very little attention to the topic itself. At the very best, news reporters regurgitated the contents of an industry press release. There was nothing of substance, which is where this documentary fits in: we wanted to cover the issue in-depth. We interviewed industry execs, copyright lawyers, pirates, consumers, artists, and everyone we could think of - and made you this film.
In the Library:
- Kahin, Brian, and Charles R. Nesson. 1997. Borders in cyberspace information policy and the global information infrastructure. Publication of the Harvard Information Infrastructure Project. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press. [link: NetLibrary]
- Kusek, David, Gerd Leonhard, and Susan Gedutis Lindsay. 2005. The future of music: manifesto for the digital music revolution. Boston: Berklee Press. [link: WorldCat]
- Vaidhyanathan, Siva. 2004. The anarchist in the library: how the clash between freedom and control is hacking the real world and crashing the system. New York: Basic Books. [link: WorldCat]
- Bednarski, P. J. "NBC's Wright: Piracy Is Killing Us." Broadcasting & Cable 136, no. 39 (October 02, 2006): 3-3. Communication & Mass Media Complete, EBSCOhost (accessed November 13, 2008). [link: EbscoHost]
- Seltzer, Trent. 2005. "RIAA, MPAA, and the Digital Piracy Issue: Comparing Public Relations Strategies and Effectiveness." Conference Papers -- International Communication Association : 1-24. Communication & Mass Media Complete, EBSCOhost (accessed November 13, 2008). [link: EbscoHost]
- Sinha, Rajiv K, and Naomi Mandel. 2008. "Preventing Digital Music Piracy: The Carrot or the Stick?." Journal of Marketing 72, no. 1: 1-15. Communication & Mass Media Complete, EBSCOhost (accessed November 13, 2008). [link: EbscoHost]
- Yar, Majid. 2008. "The rhetorics and myths of anti-piracy campaigns: criminalization, moral pedagogy and capitalist property relations in the classroom." New Media & Society 10, no. 4: 605-623. Communication & Mass Media Complete, EBSCOhost (accessed November 13, 2008). [link: EbscoHost]
On the Web:
- On Piracy: On Piracy & the Future of Media (film Web site)
- Piracy: Online & On the Street (from the RIAA's Web site)
- Love, Cortney. “Cortney Love Redefines Music Piracy and Blasts the RIAA.” Salon.com (June 13 2000).
- Julien McArdle's blog