Originally made for the Danish National Broadcasting Network, the producers made the controversial decision to release the film for free as a BitTorrent download on The Pirate Bay. The documentary has subsequently been released under the Creative Commons (attribution, non-commercial) License and is hosted on Blip.tv.
Good Copy Bad Copy, A documentary about the current state of copyright and culture, is a documentary about copyright and culture in the context of Internet, peer-to-peer file sharing and other technological advances. Directed by Andreas Johnsen, Ralf Christensen, and Henrik Moltke.
It features interviews with many people with various perspectives on copyright, including copyright lawyers, producers and artists.
A central point of the documentary is the thesis that "creativity itself is on the line" and that a balance needs to be struck, or that there is a conflict, between protecting the right of those who own intellectual property and the rights of future generations to create.
In the Library:
- Landes, William M., and Richard A. Posner. 2003. The economic structure of intellectual property law. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press. [link: WorldCat]
- Lessig, Lawrence. 2004. Free culture: how big media uses technology and the law to lock down culture and control creativity. New York: Penguin Press. [link: WorldCat]
- McLeod, Kembrew. 2005. Freedom of expression®: overzealous copyright bozos and other enemies of creativity. New York: Doubleday.[link: WorldCat]
- National Research Council (U.S.). 2000. The digital dilemma: intellectual property in the information age. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press. [link: WorldCat]
- Scafidi, Susan. 2005. Who owns culture?: appropriation and authenticity in American law. Rutgers series on the public life of the arts. New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers University Press. [link: WorldCat]
On the Web:
- Berry, David M. and Giles Moss. “The Politics of Libre Commons.” First Monday 11, no. 2 (September 2006). http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue11_9/berry/index.html
- Good Copy Bad Copy (official Website)
- Creative Commons Press Kit (describes various CC licenses)
- Henrik Moltkes Blog